Monday, September 04, 2006

Where did the last 10 weeks go? Fortunately, I’ve been running and not writing instead of the other way around. After Seattle, I’ve found some dedication and logged respectable summer miles – 200 avg. for July and Aug, a huge jump from 67(?), 130 and 135 the three months prior. It’s helped that Amanda wants to be taken home really early on weekday mornings. I’ve been dropping her off at 5:30 which means I’m already awake and can drive to Barton Springs, get a run in and still make it to work by 7:30. She also has band practice now on Thursday nights (she’s playing the cow bell), which opens up an opportunity to squeeze another run in if my legs aren’t dead.

I haven’t been running with the Gazelles much. Not sure why I always come up with an excuse but I do – don’t like circuits, Meridan’s too dark, etc. I like Wilke and anything involving straight intervals on the track. Mostly I show up at AHS solo. Time’s are good. 8x800 in 2:45 avg. 1200’s in 4:10. The weather’s been draining me. I feel sleepy all the time. Amanda’s been moody and quiet. Hopefully, it’s just her age. I’m trying not to take it personally. Work’s been crazy busy. I came in on Saturday and wrote an investment policy for Waco. Still behind. Unmotivated.

Friday night was the Fila Relays. Our team consisted of my weekend long-run buds David Weaver and John Paladino along with Floyd Watson. Last year, we came within 30 seconds of winning Masters. This year, it was predictably hot. Also predictable was me accidentally stepping on the timing mat which turned Floyd’s leg off and mine on 30 to 40 seconds before Floyd finished. Another unfortunately turn of events was me dropping the baton. After a brief scramble, I dashed off without it to try and catch Peter Rausch. A couple of years ago, my mind would have already caught him. Friday night, I conceded the race after 200 yards. I ran a 13:52 which isn’t too bad. The timing mat incident added 34 seconds to my time and subtracted the same from Floyd’s. We lost Masters by 30 to a pretty good bunch – Weekend run bud Bryan Atkinson filled in incredibly well for an injured Mendez, running sub-13:20 while Fletch, Rudy and Peter all ran great. With luck, I’ll get fired up since I was the slowest of the eight.

Where from here? Lose some weight - At 5’7, 156, I’m too big. My goal is to get down to 149 by the end of September. Keep running with the Monday morning group. Double up on Wednesday with some light intervals early and add the “7 at 7” recovery run. If I can get motivated enough to add a Thursday afternoon run every other week, I should start to ramp miles up to 60+. New York is in two months. My time goal is 2:50:00. Other goal is to beat Lance. I’m shooting for 240 miles in September. That’ll be a record high for me. Good start w/ 34 miles through the 4th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home